Sunday, March 4, 2007

Jouranl 7

A Good Day
In chapter 7, I learned how the perspective of happiness changes according to the situation one is placed in. As for me, the happiest day would be a day without homework and when it is announced that there is no school on Friday. This would be the happiest moment for me; however, this would not mean so much to Primo Levi. To him, from what he perceive as happiness would be totally different from my happiness because he is adapted in the dreadful environment. “The Lager is hunger: we ourselves are hunger, living hunger.” This quote shows how prisoners in the camp take nothing for granted and they are living under constant sufferings. For these reasons, prisoners learned to thank even the most ordinary things that happened to their lives. “…and when even I felt its lukewarmth through my clothes I understood how men can worship the sun.” Primo Levi describes how people gained happiness out of the sun, from the warmth it creates. Furthermore, prisoners in the camps received extra ration of food, and everyone was so happy that Primo Levi named the chapter, “A Good Day.” The happiness of Primo Levi, receiving extra ration of food, and receiving sun light, vise versa, would not mean so much to me, because I am fortunate enough to eat as much as I want and receive warmth not only through sun but also through Air conditioner. However, if I were to be one of the prisoners during the Holocaust, my happiness would be eating extra ration of food and getting enough and comfortable sleep for a day. From these reasons, I believe happiness is more of a subjective emotion because everyone’s happiness if different from one another.

No comments: